RDPH Hockey Officials (Referees)
Hockey Official Information
RDPH is sanctioned by Hockey Alberta and Hockey Canada and follows their officiating rules.
The Red Deer Pond Hockey League recognizes the need to foster the growth and development of referees within our organization.
- A great part-time job
- Get paid to work out
- Chance to join a Tight-Knit Group
- Develop Leadership Skills
Any inquires, feel free to email our referee coordinator: Referee@reddeerpondhockey.com
How to Become a Hockey Official
Step 1 - Register with Red Deer Pond Hockey
If you are 12 years of age (as of Dec 31 of current hockey season) and interested in becoming a Referee or Linesperson in the Red Deer Pond Hockey League, please Register using the above link.
Step 2 - All NEW officials or those that have not been certified through Hockey Canada must:
- Create an HCR 3.0 Account (Further Information on Setting up an account)
- Register and Complete Official - *HU - ONLINE Officiating 1/2
- this on-demand course takes approximately three hours to complete, costs approximately $25 and must be completed prior to registering for an in-person clinic
Step 3 - Register for an in-person clinic
- Hockey Alberta runs clinics in central Alberta throughout September-December annually, they cost about $130-$170 to attend and to be certified to officiate hockey
- Go to the dates and locations section of the website and follow the appropriate steps to register for an in-person clinic, pre-registration is mandatory
- In-person clinics will consist of classroom sessions and on-ice sessions. Bring your skates, helmet (with visor) and a whistle to the in-person clinic
Other Important Information
- LEVEL 1: New official (any age) or returning officials 14 years of age and younger. Minimum age: 12 years; Maximum age: 14
- LEVEL 2: Officials 15 years of age or older
Once you have completed the certifications and officiated 6 regular season games for the Red Deer Pond Hockey league, we will reimburse you the registration fees of the Hockey University and Level 1 or 2 in-person clinics.